Graduate Certificates in Special Education
- Official transcripts from academic institutions
- A statement of professional goals
- Copy of teaching certificate
Additionally, applicants must request a “file evaluation for adding a certificate area” from the SC Office of Educator Certification, and submit the written results to their faculty advisor before the completion of six graduate credits.
- Fall: July 1
- Spring: November 1
- Summer: March 1
Coursework for the Certificate is aligned with South Carolina's licensure requirements:
- Introduction to Exceptional Children and Youth
- Characteristics of Students with (LD, ED, or MD)
- Procedures for Teaching Students with (LD, ED, or MD)
- Assessment in Special Education
- Reading and Language Arts Instruction for Students with Disabilities
- Classroom and Behavior Management
Coursework may be adjusted/substituted with your advisor based on your certification and professional needs. We advise educators seeking add-on certification to request their official list of coursework needs from the South Carolina Department of Education: http://ed.sc.gov/educators/certification/
For more information or inquiries about special education programs or specific coursework, contact any of the special education faculty members.
For more information about the Graduate Certificates in Special Education, contact Dr. Angela Cozart, program director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-953-6353.